How to Apply for GA

An individual must apply in person unless an emergency exists. If an individual cannot come in to apply due to medical reasons, two options are available to them. One, they can send in an individual to pick up an application for them or two, they can request a telephone interview.

Applications are taken by appointments with the Welfare Director.  The hours for appointments are Tuesday and Thursday 9am to Noon unless there is an emergency.  The number to make an appointment is:  207-778-6539.  For emergencies during non-working hours or weekends, please call the Farmington Police department at  778-6311 or Franklin County Sheriff's Dispatch 778-6140.

Upon arrival, the Welfare Director will greet an applicant and then take a written application.

An applicant must provide verification about household income, expenses, and the number of people in the household. They must provide receipts that show how current income has been spent. Only receipts for basic necessities are considered allowable expenses. It is the applicant’s responsibility to plan and use their income wisely and within the General Assistance guidelines.

We also ask the applicant to bring the following information: a form of I.D., a doctor’s statement if an individual is ill, disabled, or unable to work, and financial statements from checking and savings accounts, and insurance policies.

We determine eligibility within 24 hours unless the caseworker is unable to complete the interview due to a lack of information. The individual applying for assistance has the responsibility to prove that they are eligible. If the documentation is incomplete, the caseworker may have to deny the request for assistance until the applicant provides all the necessary information.

An applicant is considered in need of General Assistance if their income or other resource is less than the applicable maximum level of assistance as established by State law. We call this difference between the applicant’s income and the overall maximum levels the applicant’s deficit.

What Happens when Assistance Is Granted?

Within twenty-four hours after you apply for General Assistance, the caseworker will give you a written decision explaining why you are or are not granted assistance. If you are eligible, you will receive both the decision and the assistance. When you are ineligible for assistance, you receive the decision and are informed that you can challenge the decision by requesting a fair hearing. The Fair Hearing Authority consists of three City Councilors who preside over hearings appealing the decisions of the department.

General Assistance is intended to help people who are in need and have nowhere else to turn. It is a program of last resort. The municipality has the responsibility to assist eligible people who are in need.

General Assistance Information


What is the General Assistance Program?

It is a service administered for the aid of people who are unable to provide the basic necessities to maintain themselves or their families.

It provides a specific amount and type of aid for defined needs during a limited period and is not a continual categorical assistance program. General Assistance is administered in accordance with the Town of Farmington’s current adopted ordinance and Maine state law.

General Assistance gives help with basic necessities such as food, shelter, fuel, electricity, and medical services.

We expect that recipients meet all eligibility requirements when we grant assistance.

The Work Requirement

If an individual is unemployed, but able to work, he or she must do the following:

  • register to work
  • actively look for work
  • accept a suitable job offer
  • participate in training or educational programs that would help them get a job

If an individual does not comply with these work requirements, they may not be eligible to receive General Assistance for 120 days. If an individual is working, but quits their job without just cause, they will be ineligible to receive assistance for 120 days. Also, if an individual is working, but is fired from their job for misconduct, they will be ineligible to receive assistance for 120 days.

The Importance of Utilizing Resources

It is important that a person use their income for basic necessities. When their income is enough to pay for their household expenses, but they spend it on items that are not essential, they will not be eligible.

Also, an individual must use all resources that would diminish their need for General Assistance.

  • TANF and any other government program
  • Support from legally liable relatives
  • Support payments
  • Medical or rehabilitative programs

Click here for information on how to apply.

Hunting and Fishing License


The Town Clerk’s Office issues hunting and fishing licenses for Maine residents and non-residents.

A valid Maine driver’s license (or positive indentification and an Affidavit of Residency) is required to purchase a resident license.  Proof of a prior hunting license or a certificate of completion of a hunter safety course is required to obtain a hunting license.  Non-resident licenses also require positive identification.

For more information on licensing requirements, current costs, and regulations, go to


Governor LePage urges support for Hunters for the Hungry Program

10/25/2017 03:48 PM EDT

*Deer season begins Monday and donations provide meat to food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and households across the state*

AUGUSTA - With the 2017 hunting season underway, Governor Paul R. LePage is again urging Maine hunters to consider supporting the Hunters for the Hungry Program by donating all or part of their harvest to feed families in need. The popular program provides a means for Maine hunters, as well as hunters from other states, to donate harvested game to food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelter.

"The Hunters for the Hungry Program is an opportunity for hunters to help families in need while participating in a traditional Maine outdoor sport," said Governor LePage. "Donations provide meat to food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters. This effort is successful because of the dedication and generosity of Maine hunters and their support of organizations working to end hunger in Maine."

Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Commissioner Walt Whitcomb noted that since its establishment in 1996, the Hunters for the Hungry Program has provided thousands of nutritious meals to people across the state.

"Since 1996, Maine sportsmen and women have contributed to a program that provides nutritious meals to people across Maine," said Whitcomb. "The Hunters for the Hungry Program puts high quality, native protein on the tables of Maine families."

The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry distributes many types of donations to food pantries, soup kitchens and shelters. The Hunters for the Hungry Program is part of the Department's Emergency Food Assistance Program. It is done in cooperation with the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife's wardens, Maine State Troopers and hunters, all working towards a common goal of helping fellow Mainers.

The program accepts bear, deer and moose donations. Road kill donations are also accepted, provided the meat is not damaged. Hunters do not pay for the processing of donated meat. Meat processing costs are paid for by the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry or the charity that receives the food. Hunters choosing to keep their game can still donate a few pounds to the program. Meat processors that are interested in getting involved with the program and learning how it works should call 207-287-7513. For more information, to donate, or to get connected to a Hunters for the Hungry participating meat processor call 207-287-7513. The program also has a Facebook page:

For more information about The Emergency Food Assistance Program:

For more information about the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, go to:

Voting and Elections



November 2, 2021 election
Election Day Polls will be open 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. at 127 Middle Street 

Absentee Ballots can be requested in person, by calling us at 778-6539, emailing the Town Clerk at , or through the Secretary of State's web page Maine Absentee Ballot Request


Dear Voter:


All ballots that are mailed to you need to be returned, even if you do not cast a vote on the ballots.

PLEASE SIGN THE BACK OF YOUR ENVELOPE in black ink where it says, “Voter Signature”. We have highlighted the signature line on the envelope to assist you.

Your ballot must be returned in the envelope provided, and you MUST SEAL THE ENVELOPE before returning it.

You have multiple options for returning your voted ballot: 

  • You can bring it back to the Town Office during business hours and give it to the Town Clerk or any of the Counter Clerks
  • Place it in the secure drop box (available 24-hours a day) to the right of the Town Office entrance, or
  • Mail it to the address already marked on the front of your envelope.  If you mail your ballot, please make sure to attach $0.55 postage.

If you have any questions, please call the Town Office at (207) 778-6539.

Where do I vote?

All Farmington residents vote at the Farmington Community Center located at 127 Middle Street from 8:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M.

When can I vote?

Besides Election Day, Farmington  voters can vote early, in-person, prior to an election. The dates and times will be posted prior to the election so that voters can plan accordingly.

Where can I register to vote?

Voter Registration is available for new voters or for existing Farmington voters to change their address or name as follows:

  • At the Farmington Community Center located at 127 Middle Street on Election Day

I need an absentee ballot, how do I request one?

To request an absentee ballot:

    • Call the Town Clerk’s  office at  778-6539
    • Write the Town Clerk,  Town of Farmington , 153 Farmington Falls Rd Farmington, ME 04938
    • Email the Town Clerk at  to request a ballot
    • Visit the Town Clerk’s office during regular business hours










Dog License


The State of Maine requires that dogs be licensed in the town of residence of the owner. Each dog six months of age or older must be licensed.

Dog licenses expire on December 31st of each year. An additional late fee of $25 will be imposed after January 31st of each year.

The cost at the City Clerk’s office is $6.00 for an altered dog, $11.00 for an unaltered one. To receive a license, dog owners must show a State of Maine rabies certificate, a spay or neuter certificate, and provide your dog’s veterinarian’s name and phone number (if this information isn’t already on file at the Clerk’s office). 

To register your dog online, the following link will take you to the State's website: 




Our website is protected by DMC Firewall!